UPDATE May 2018
1. Privacy Legislative Framework
Destination Sydney Surrounds North will collect, store, use and disclose Personal Information in accordance with the PPIPA, the Privacy Act and any other relevant laws and codes of practice in operation from time to time including the Regulation.
Australian and New South Wales Legislation
General Data Protection (GDPR) Regulation
The Regulation applies to the data processing activities of Destination Sydney Surrounds North in the European Union as:
- We have operations in the European Union namely United Kingdom, Germany and France.
- Offer goods and services or monitor the behaviour of individuals in the European Union – via our websites and representative offices. Destination Sydney Surrounds North promotes New South Wales as a tourism destination and also holds roadshows and famils in the European Union.
- We have provided more detail around what we do with your data, and how you can have access to your privacy rights.
- We have provided more information about the purposes for which we use your personal information.
2. What is Personal Information or Personal Data?
Personal Information is also defined by the Regulation in which we provide particulars namely:
- any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (Article 4 of the Regulation – a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person, cookie ID, ID card number, location data, advertising identifier on phones, IP address, an email address or a telephone number
- any information relating to an individual, whether it relates to his or her private, professional or public life. It can be anything from a home address, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts on social networking websites, or medical information.
- a company registration number
- an email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org
- anonymised data
3. Why Destination Sydney Surrounds North collects Personal Information
Destination Sydney Surrounds North will not collect any more information than is necessary for it to fulfill these functions, unless required by law.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North, in carrying out its functions and activities, collects Personal Information directly from you through its website, for various purposes that relate to the development and promotion of tourism and events in New South Wales. Destination Sydney Surrounds North’s functions are listed in the Destination NSW Act (2011): legislation.nsw.gov.au/acts/2011-21.pdf.
The provision of your Personal Information on Destination Sydney Surrounds North’s website is voluntary and you can opt out at any time.
However, if you choose not to provide your Personal Information we may not be able to forward the material that you are requesting or provide you with one of the numerous services available through this website. You can choose to remain anonymous or use a pseudonym.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North conducts a large part of its operations over the Internet and via email.
As part of its functions, Destination Sydney Surrounds North conducts market research surveys, offers access to publications, processes thousands of requests for tour brochures or information, provides avenues for the booking of holidays or facilities, provides opportunities for tourism operators to market and promote their services, distributes industry based publications, conducts many exciting competitions and collects information on the types of holidays or events that you, the consumer, would like to see more of in the future so that we can help the NSW tourism industry grow.
4. Collection of your Personal Information
Destination Sydney Surrounds North will ensure that any Personal Information collected is relevant to Destination Sydney Surrounds North’s purpose, is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North will collect information directly from you, unless it is reasonably impracticable to do so.
When is your Personal Information is being collected
- you submit an application form with Destination Sydney Surrounds North containing Personal Information,
- provide Personal Information via email,
- complete a new supplier form,
- undertake a market research survey, and
- enter into a contract with Destination Sydney Surrounds North.
These email addresses are stored electronically in accordance with standards and authorities under the State Records Act 1998 (NSW). An email address is only used for the purpose for which it is provided and is not added to any unauthorised mailing list or disclosed to other organisations unless you request that this to be done.
If you have subscribed to one of Destination Sydney Surrounds North’s online mailing lists, you can easily remove your email details from the list by unsubscribing. Each mailing list provides clear instructions on how to unsubscribe.
This website contains numerous links to other organisation’s web pages. Destination Sydney Surrounds North is not responsible for the information handling practices or privacy policies of those other organisations. Destination Sydney Surrounds North can of course provide you with an alternative means of dealing with it, or transacting business with it, if you feel uncomfortable with the electronic transmission of information.
The listed websites may utilise cookies to enhance the user’s experience of the site. A cookie is a small text file that is sent back to your computer’s hard drive from a host website. Cookies record your preferences in relation to your use of a site and provide other information that allows us to recognise you in the future. The cookies on the listed websites do not read the information on your hard drive nor do they make your computer perform any unauthorised actions or make your computer send information to any other computer via the Internet.
You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to allow it. However, if you decide to not accept cookies, some of Destination Sydney Surrounds North’s web pages may not display properly or you may not be permitted to access certain information. When you access any of the pages on the website, we automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it
- your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.)
- the address of your server
- the date and time of your visit to the site
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded
- the previous site visited
- the type of browser and operating system you have used.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual computers, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the PPIPA.
“Data matching” means the bringing together of at least two data sets that contain Personal Information, and that come from different sources, and the comparison of those data sets with the intention of producing a match. Destination Sydney Surrounds North may from time to time utilise Google’s Customer Match technology (a data matching tool) to provide a service to you whereby offers are geared to your personal preferences. Accordingly, Destination Sydney Surrounds North may share your Personal Information with Google’s Customer Match platform in order to undertake data matching. In the course of data matching, your Personal Information remains protected through the use of a one-way hashing mechanism that cannot be encrypted. Personal Information that Destination Sydney Surrounds North shares with Google, including email addresses, will be hashed against Google’s database of hashed users, without Google ever seeing the unhashed data. By continuing to use this site, you consent to Destination Sydney Surrounds North sharing your Personal Information with Google for data matching purposes. If you would not like Destination Sydney Surrounds North to use your Personal information for data matching, you can request such by contacting General Manager via email@example.com
How will your Personal Information be stored?
Attendee data is accessible by affiliated suppliers, in connection with the activity they are undertaking.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North takes all reasonable steps to:
- protect the security and integrity of any Personal Information held, be it stored in electronic or hard copy format.
- Ensure that the quality of Personal Information is as reasonable in the circumstances and that the Personal Information that Destination Sydney Surrounds North collects is accurate, up-to-date and complete.
- As are reasonable in the circumstances, ensure that the Personal Information that Destination Sydney Surrounds North uses or discloses is, having regard to the purpose of the use or disclosure, accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant.
- Ensure that you have access to and ability to correct Personal Information.
How long will your Personal Information be stored?
Once it is no longer necessary to retain the information, we will dispose of it in a secure manner.
How it will be stored
5. Processing and Use of Personal Information within Destination Sydney Surrounds North
The Regulation will directly affect the processing of personal data of European Union citizens resident in the European Union, including those in the United Kingdom.
The processing of any personal data belonging to European Union citizens or others resident in the European Union will be subject to the Regulation no matter where the data is stored or processed.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North will only use, communicate or handle Personal Information for the primary purpose for which the information was collected, or in circumstances where you consent to other use of your Personal Information. This includes processing for:
- the performance of a contract.
- compliance with a legal obligation.
- protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person.
the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in Destination Sydney Surrounds North.
- the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Destination Sydney Surrounds North or by a third party unless such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject, which require protection of personal data, in particular if the data subject is a child.
Examples of data processing:
- access to/consultation of a contacts database containing personal data
- sending promotional emails
- posting/putting a photo of a person on a website
- storing IP addresses or MAC addresses
Process the data in a manner that is lawful, fair and transparent.
Use the data for legitimate purposes.
Limit the use only to what is necessary.
Process the data in a way that maintains its accuracy.
Store the data for no longer than necessary.
Process the data in a secure fashion.
6. Disclosure of Personal Information to third parties
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not publically available
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files on the listed websites
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the listed websites
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the listed websites
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the use of the listed websites by other users.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North may initiate proceedings in relation to any loss or damage suffered as a result of unauthorised use of information or any of the above circumstances.
Disclosure may also occur where it is lawfully authorised or required under any act, other law or statutory agency or foreign body.
Destination Sydney Surrounds North does not have any responsibility for privacy policies or practices of third party sites linked to from the listed websites.
8. Access, accuracy and amendments – Your Rights
Destination Sydney Surrounds North takes all reasonable steps to ensure the Personal Information it collects is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Accordingly and as required by the PPIPA, you can access any of your Personal Information that we hold, except in the circumstances set out in appropriate legislation. If you would like to access or update your Personal Information, or if you would like to know more about the Personal Information that we may hold on you please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to make a complaint in relation to privacy, you may do so by contacting:
The Privacy Commissioner: www.ipc.nsw.gov.au
Under the Regulation, you have certain rights including:
- Right of Access
- Right of Erasure
- Right to Rectification
- Right to Object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact the following:
The Privacy Officer
Phone: +61 02 9931 1111
Address: GPO Box 7050, Sydney NSW 2001
9. Conclusion and Other
Destination Sydney Surrounds North, through Destination NSW, provides a privacy management plan in compliance with the PPIPA (Privacy Management Plan). This Privacy Management Plan sets out how Destination NSW complies with the PPIPA.
Due to the developing nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.